L's Birth Story

Looking back now, L's birth was long and hard and surprising. At least from my perspective.

I woke up on a warm September Friday morning and remember feeling really good, like I had more energy than the previous day. The day before I was exhausted. I almost fell asleep driving on the way home from work! I rested that evening and felt so much more energized. 

When I arrived to school, I set out across the parking lot. I remember thinking, "Man, it really sucks to walk" and I stopped in the middle of the cross walk to catch my breath. It literally felt like I had a watermelon between my legs. 

As the morning progressed, things started picking up. By 7:30am, I kept feeling the urge to pee so I was back and forth to the bathroom. Around 8:00 am, I asked my neighboring teacher to watch my class while I went to the bathroom. She asked me if everything was alright and I lied. I didn't want to worry her since I was only 37 weeks. 

In the bathroom, I passed my mucus plug and a ton of fluid. At this point, I knew baby was coming, but I was still in denial. Just that week, I had been the hospital two separate times. The first time on Monday was due pre-eclampsia concerns. On Wednesday night, I went because I thought my water had broken. Well, it was leaking, but they couldn't prove it so they sent me home. 

I returned to my class and contemplated what to do. Do I start my reading lesson or do I go to the doctor? I didn't want another false alarm. I decided to call my AP and told her what was going on. She obviously urged me to leave to go to my doctor. 

Jump forward to the doctor's office...they found that my water was indeed broken but I was only 2 cm dilated. That would mean and induction to move labor along. 

I arrived at the hospital around 1:00pm and was admitted immediately. IV fluids were started and the pictocin was administered. Around 3 or 4 pm, I remember telling my nurse that the contractions did not feel strong or intense. They allowed for more pitocin. Around 7 or 8 pm, the contractions were so strong I could no longer talk through them. Up to this point, I had only an IV pain medication. I was trying to hold off an epidural. I didn't want the epidural to stall labor. 









By almost 9pm, I decided I wanted to get the epidural. I was in the middle of transition which is the hardest part of labor. Looking back now, had I stuck it out I might have had a birth with out pain medications. But, getting the epidural did two things for my body. I was almost completely dilated, but that last little bit wasn't progressing. The epidural allowed me to rest. I was able to lay on my side to help dilation to continue and sleep for a short period of time. This rest was important for the pushing phase.


Around 9:45pm, my body was ready and my nurse had us begin "practice" pushes. All the time she massaged my perineum to prevent tearing. We pushed for about 10 minutes and she felt we were ready for my doctor to come in. My doctor was finishing up in another delivery...the labor and delivery hall was BUSY that night. Once my doctor came it went fast! We pushed for another 15 minutes or so. And then our daughter was born at 10:22pm. 



And then it was like she had always been here. 

Comments

Popular Posts